Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Bug trap

After my first night of data collection I learned a few things: 1. It takes 30 minutes to set up the equipment but only 10 to take it down. 2. One of my recorders is not working, which I found out only after the fact. 3. Looks like there might only be Mexican Freetails in the city. Of course it's way too soon to tell. 4. There are very few flying insects in the city. 5. Some people are interested in what I'm doing, but most people in the city are careful not to look too closely. Kind of sad, but it bodes well for the safety of my equipment. I added a photo to my last entry so you can see the finished detector rig. And on this entry you can see my sticky trap for flying insects. It's a water bottle painted camo, with a coat hanger stuck inside. Double-sided tape holds an 8.5 x 11 inch transparency sheet to the outside. I spray it with tanglefoot and then hang it near the bat detector to get a sense of relative insect activity in the night. In the morning I wrap a second transparency sheet around the sticky first one and pull them both off. I've got to run now but will write more after I upload the second night's data and have a look at it.


Post a Comment

<< Home