Sunday, March 22, 2009

Eavesdropping on Golden Gate Bats

I'm almost done with collecting data for my thesis! I have only one more park to do, which will hopefully happen tonight if this storm passes today. I've recorded one night per quarter in each of 21 parks in the city. So far I've found four different species. Still to come: completing the analysis of this round's calls, doing the statistical analysis of my results, and then writing it up. I'm hoping to get everything together by the end of this month, so I can spend April writing, and schedule my thesis defense for mid-May.

I do have news on the PhD application front, but I'll post about that soon. The good news is I got accepted to at least one school for next fall.

In this picture, my detector rig sits in the tree in the foreground, aimed out over Stowe Lake in Golden Gate park. I haven't looked at the files I just got, but in the past I've had hundreds of Mexican Freetail calls, and a few Yuma Myotis calls from this location.

3 Comments:

Blogger Missy said...

Hi Bat girl,
Came across your blog from cuteoverload.com and thought you'd appreciate this--there is a bat rescue in north queensland area of Australia run by a former nurse that takes in volunteers and lets them stay at her house for free in exchange for their work with the bats (micro and mega) and other small animals. The name of the rescue is called BatReach, in case you were interested! I'm going back there in May to volunteer again.
Missy

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Gopal said...

I go jogging through Golden Gate Park several times a week. I've notices that right around dusk, I can see little shadows fluttering around frantically above me on the edge of the meadows.

I've always wondered if they were bats or swallows. I even made up a game called "Bats or Swallows", where I call out Bat! if I think its a bat, or Swallow! if it looks more like a swallow.

Of course, I have no idea how often I get it right.

4:16 PM  
Blogger batgrrl said...

Gopal, small fluttering shapes at the edge of meadows at dusk are probably bats. They are definitely there in Golden Gate park, at least I'm sure they are there around Stowe Lake. Enjoy!

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home